The Financial Aid Committee will consider all completed financial aid applications. Availability of Culver financial aid funds and family finances will be the largest factor in determining the awards. Awards vary based on need and a significant financial contribution is expected of the family to cover remaining tuition and other costs such as the application fee, tuition deposit, transportation, and uniforms.
Culver pledges to do its best to meet the needs of families, but there can be no guarantee that the demonstrated financial need of all those who apply can be met.
With questions about the financial aid process, please contact Culver Summer Schools & Camps via email.
The cost of six weeks at Culver Summer Schools & Camps is competitive with the cost of most overnight YMCA or sports camps. We understand, however, that not every family can afford the full cost of camp. We also believe that no family should be deterred from applying because of the cost of tuition.
Through the generosity of Culver alumni and friends, we are able to offer need-based financial aid to families who qualify. Examples of scholarship funds that support our need-based aid include, but are not limited to:
Sailrite Scholarship – Established by the Grant family to support campers and summer students from Indiana that are interested and will participate in sailing.
Ann Mercer Dise L’73 Naval Band Scholarship Fund – Established by the Dise family to support students, male and female, who are joining or are a part of the Naval Band.
Lumby Family Woodcraft Scholarship – Established by the Lumby family to support the financial aid of Woodcraft campers.
V. Courtlandt Smith II Summer Troop Endowed Scholarship – Provides financial aid for Summer School Troopers from the Appalachian regions of West Virginia, Southeastern Ohio and Eastern Kentucky.
George & Charlene Harris Culver Supporting Our Troops Scholarship Endowment – Provides summer scholarships for children or grandchildren of active duty, retired, honorably discharged, or deceased service men and women.
Awards of need-based aid depend solely on a family's demonstrated financial need and qualifications of the camper. Additionally, a significant financial contribution is expected of the family to cover costs such as the application fee, remaining tuition, transportation, uniforms and spending money. For more information or to apply for need-based financial aid please see below.
Applying For Need-Based Financial Aid
You must have a United States social security number to be eligible to apply for financial aid.
1. Fill Out the Camp Application
- Apply to camp through the regular application process here.
- Parents must complete the online application, and pay the $50.00 application fee. The application fee is required for all applications. Requesting financial aid does not waive the fee. The application fee must be paid in order to submit and process your child's application.
- On the application, mark "YES" to the question regarding an interest in financial aid.
- Detailed information on how to submit a financial aid application will be sent in a separate email once your child has been approved for camp.
2. Create an Account with Blackbaud Financial Aid Management, Smart Aid
- Culver has partnered with Smart Aid, our online resource for applying for financial aid. Please visit the Smart Aid website and create your account by entering your primary email address as your username. Smart Aid will use this email address to contact you in the event that your application is “on hold” for missing documentation.
- You will need a 5-digit school code to link your account with Culver Summer Schools & Camps. Culver’s 5-digit code is 13581.
- Once you create your username and password, you will receive a verification email. Once you click the verification link to verify that you are the account holder, you will be able to log in using the username and password you created.
- Please be advised that if you do not click the verification link that is sent to your email address, you will not be able to log in or reset your password.
- If you did not receive an email with the verification link, please check your spam and junk folders.
3. Submitting Documentation
- Documentation should be submitted at the time the application is completed. Your Smart Aid family ID must be included on all documents. This ID number can be found in your Smart Aid account confirmation email. Failure to include your ID will delay processing of your application.
- Please be advised that each document must be uploaded separately under the appropriate document type in order for your application to automatically move into the review status.
- Please upload all documentation on the Smart Aid website using your login with your username and password.
4. Already have an account with Smart Aid?
- If you have an existing Smart Aid account with another school or institution, please contact Culver Summer Schools & Camps to have Culver's school code added to your account.
- The Parent/Guardian and Dependents section of the application will be auto-filled for you, you will simply need to confirm the information before advancing to the next sections of the application.
- If any information from the Parent/Guardian and Dependent section should be updated, please make the necessary changes.
5. Notification of Financial Aid Award
- Once your application is processed, a financial aid recommendation will be forwarded to Culver Summer Schools & Camp. All final financial aid decisions, including notification of an award amount (if any), will be made by Culver Summer Schools & Camps. If you have not received notification regarding financial aid, please contact Culver Summer Schools & Camps by email or by phone at 574-842-8300.
- Parents/guardians will be notified by email of the financial aid award offered and given a date by which to respond to either accept or reject the award.
6. Deadline for Financial Aid
- All forms and information for financial aid must be completed in order to be considered. Financial Aid will be awarded on a rolling basis.
Culver also offers Merit-Based Scholarships that are not tied to financial need. These scholarships have been created through the generosity of donors and are targeted children of certain ages, geographic areas, and interests and talents, e.g. band or horsemanship.
Families may apply for either need-based assistance, merit-based scholarship, or both. For questions about either process, please contact Culver Summer Schools & Camps via email or by phone at 574-842-8300.