Advising at Culver
The single advisor approach at Culver Academies ensures that each student benefits from developing a meaningful relationship with one advisor throughout their journey at Culver, thus fostering a transformational advising experience.
Advisors work with reduced numbers of students in all grades in support of the development of self-discovery, self-reflection, and self-advocacy. Together, they identify passion, purpose, and potential while remaining focused on intentional decision-making that promotes both aspiration and suitability.
Advising Mission and Guiding Principles
The Advising Program at Culver Academies equips students with the skills, dispositions and tools that will prepare them to thrive at and beyond Culver.
Advising at Culver Academies:
- Ensures that each student benefits from developing a meaningful relationship with one advisor throughout their journey at Culver, thus fostering a transformational advising experience.
- Emphasizes to students the importance of learning about themselves, making the most of the opportunities available to them, and finding purpose both at Culver and beyond.
- Starts with the belief that students will thrive when they seek opportunities and environments that best support their individual purpose and potential.
- Provides students with exceptional expertise, guidance, advocacy and encouragement through tailored advising on academic, college and future planning.
- Values close collaboration with families in support of students while at the same time empowering the students themselves to take ownership in goal setting and future-planning.
- Actively supports Culver’s vision of leading the world in whole person education by coaching students to reflect on their own progress in the areas of Leadership, Communication, Well-being, Scholarship, and Citizenship (see Culver Competencies).
Academic and College Advising Team
- Kim Cullen - Dean of Academic & College Advising
- Dave Bonner - Director of College Advising
- Karen Rudd – Director of Academic Advising
- Chrystal Dyess – Academic & College Advising Assistant
- Randy Dam – Academic & College Advisor
- Stephanie Hall – Academic & College Advisor
- Kerry Hassall – Academic & College Advisor
- Cliff Kocian – Academic & College Advisor
- Amah Medard – Academic & College Advisor
- Lau Ortiz Mercado – Academic & College Advisor
- Brian Rodgers – Academic & College Advisor
- Phoebe Thompson – Academic & College Advisor
Academic Advising & Support
Academic Advising is a resource for students, parents and faculty. Students work with the Academic Advising team for course selection, appropriate course placement and academic support.
The college application process is an important part of each student’s Culver experience. Culver’s College Advising office prepares students for the process and creates opportunities for students to discover the best academic, social, athletic and personal college fit.
From Our blog