Vaughn Equestrian Center
Built in 1917, the Vaughn Equestrian Center stables 94 horses, and is home to Culver’s renowned Black Horse Troop and the Equestriennes. The facility underwent a $10 million renovation completed in 2009 which resulted in a new stables and a renovation of the riding arena. Here, students can take beginning, intermediate, and advanced equitation, as well as horse training and stable management.
Culver also has a polo team, rough riding, and jumping teams. The Black Horse Troop has ridden in 18 presidential inaugural parades dating back to 1913. The Equestriennes, the girls’ honor riding unit, has appeared in nine inaugural parades.
The lead gifts were provided by Jud Little ’65 (riding hall) and Robert Vaughn 74 (stables).