Schedule Change Policy
Students and faculty begin the process of scheduling classes in February for the subsequent academic year. The Academies encourage students to discuss their course requests with adults at Culver and at home.
By the time classes begin in the fall, students, counselors, teachers, and parents have all had input into the requested courses. The Director of Academic Advising creates the master schedule based on the student's requested courses. The number of sections of each class, teaching assignments, and meeting times and rooms are all driven by this concern to meet student needs. For these reasons, we discourage any requests for schedule changes after June 15th including dropping a class. Under extenuating circumstances, students will be allowed to change their schedules, but they should weigh the request carefully.
A student may request a schedule change after the June 15th deadline for the following reasons:
- The student wants to continue in a discipline that he/she studied in the first half of the year.
- The student has four solids in one term, and the load is too heavy.
- The student is athletically ineligible due to an inappropriate course load. Students will be notified of athletic ineligibility over the summer. Every attempt should be made to resolve the course load issue before classes begin.
A schedule change request would be inappropriate in the following circumstances:
- The student wants a different free period or a different teacher.
- The student is no longer concerned about athletic eligibility.
Instructor/Counselor Initiated Schedule Changes
The instructor, counselor and Director of Academic Advising should function as team to resolve placement issues for students. If an instructor or counselor believes that a student is in a class that does not best serve that student's needs, he/she should contact the Director of Academic Advising. The student will be re-placed appropriately and expeditiously.
Schedule change procedure
Students must talk with their counselor, instructor, and the Director of Academic Advising before a schedule will be changed. The Director of Academic Advising will have the final authority to approve a schedule change.