College Advising

Required Testing


All students, including international students, must take the PSAT, SAT, ACT, and Subject Tests for the college admissions process. But international students have one more test to take and this is the TOEFL.

The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) evaluates a non-native speakers ability to communicate in English. This is particularly important if an international student is planning on attending college in the United States. While foreign students have the ability to take the TOEFL in their own country, Culver is also a test center for the TOEFL. The TOEFL can be registered for online at

The test format offered at Culver is the IBT and is scored on a scale from 1-120 and includes areas of speaking, writing, listening, and reading. Highly selective colleges look for scores of 100 or above.

Many schools will also post a minimum score requirements on their websites. Each college website will have a section for international students and this site should be referred to frequently.


College Admissions Process

While foreign students complete the admissions process in the same way as domestic students, there are some added items which must be included with all foreign student applications. These items need to be brought back by all foreign students when they return to Culver in the fall for their senior year.


These items include:


• 20 Copies of Official Individual Transcripts

These are important since the grading system and scale may be very different from Culvers. We need 20 of these from each of the high schools the international student has attended. These need to be returned to us at Culver in sealed envelopes so they may be considered "Official."

• 20 Copies of International Student Visa’s

This is important to show your ability to study in the United States. You Visa status will change when each international student decides where they will attend college. Also included with this will be the international student’s I-20

• 20 Copies of Official Bank Statements/Certification of Finances

This is an affidavit proving funds in a bank equal to or greater than $50.000 U.S. dollars. These official statements need to have the official seal of the bank and original signatures from the bank officials and the parents of the international student. In some cases there may be more than one statement depending on the family.


International Financial Aid/Scholarships


While in most cases international students are not eligible for US Federal Financial Aid they may be eligible for institutional aid offered by the individual colleges and universities. Since every college/university is different it is important to check the policy of every school a student may be interested in.

For more complete information regarding individual schools, please see the attached website which does an outstanding job of isolating financial opportunities for international students.

Regarding scholarships, international students follow the same instructions as domestic students. The only difference for international students would be to check to see if the scholarships they are applying for are open for international students.

Contact Us

We process all inquires submitted via this form:


Attach a maximum of three doc, pdf, or jpg files.

Attach a File

Feel free to also contact us at:

CULVER, IN 46511